If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: If it is cold where you are, you will need to imagine for a moment that it is summer. Go a step further and imagine yourself on a Mediterranean beach. (Majorca, Santorini, Portofino, Antibes, Kusadasi.....take your pick) It is time for a little something delicious, so go find a table in a nearby outdoor cafe. Order the salmon carpaccio with olive relish and an aperitif. Enjoy. —Waverly
for the salmon
- 1.5 pounds fresh salmon, skinned and boned
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 1 orange, juice only
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
for the relish
- 1.5 cups picholine olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 3 teaspoons capers, drained and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red chili flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Italian flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 orange, zest and 1/4 cup of its juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 1 baguette, cut on the diagonal into thin slices
- PREP AND MARINATE THE SALMON: Rinse and dry salmon. Wrap in plastic and freeze for 30 minutes to make slicing easier. Meanwhile, combine lemon juice, orange juice, sugar, sea salt, and olive oil. Unwrap salmon and cut against the grain into wafer thin slices. Place in a shallow non-reactive dish. Pour marinade over salmon; turn to coat; and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours. The acidic citrus juices "cook" the fish.
- MAKE THE RELISH: In a medium serving bowl, combine olives, capers, chili flakes, garlic, chopped parsley, orange zest and juice, olive oil , and pepper. Toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- SERVE: Remove fish from refrigerator and drain off the marinade. Arrange salmon on a serving platter and season with salt and pepper. Serve with the thinly sliced baguette and parsley. To eat: place a few sprigs of parsley on a slice of baguette. Top with a generous amount of olive relish. Place a slice of salmon carpaccio on top of the relish. Enjoy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Citrus & Olives
Anything But Watered Down
Pair tomato water with pasta
Tomato water: the sauce of summer.
Butter pecan ice cream for impatient cooks.
It's time to travel.
Tomato skins, meet salt.
Put cake on a pedestal.