If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love food parcels - vine leaves, cabbage, lettuce, bread....an endless list really. I watched Kenny Aitkinson roll cured mackerel in bread, pan-fry it and serve it with gooseberries. I've wanted to replicate it for so long and I'm thankful an opportunity has finally presented itself! - Kitchen Butterfly
Makes delicate hor dóeurves or individual rolls
Smoked Mackerel Roll
- 4 - 5 slices of white sandwich bread, crusts removed
- 2 plain-smoked or salt-cured mackerel fillets, broken or flaked into large pieces
- 6- 8 green olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon microplaned lemon zest
- Freshly crushed black peppercorns
- Vegtable oil to fry
- To serve - apple and olive sauce (Recipe below)
- To serve - sour cream, extra lemon zest, olives
- Roll out crust-less slices of bread till flattened.
- Set each slice of bread lengthways and make a bed in the centre with the chopped olives. Top with some mackerel pieces and finish with crushed black peppercorns and lemon zest. Then as if rolling sushi with an imaginary mat, bring the side toward you in and roll to finish.
- Do for the rest of the bread. When completed, wrap the rolls tightly in clingfilm and leave to rest for an hour in the fridge. Once rested, prepare to cook.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and fry the bread rolls turning regularly, for 2-3 minutes, or until the bread is golden-brown and crisp.
- Remove from heat and cut into bite sized pieces or eat as a roll, with sour cream and the apple-olive sauce.
- 1 sweet, crisp apple (I used Golden delicious), skinned, cored and roughly chopped
- 20 green olives with pits in
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 garlic clove
- 1-2 stalk of coriander, or to taste
- Pinch of salt
- Crush the olives by squashing them in between your fingers. Leave the pits in and then gently heat the crushed olives in the water and bring to boil. Turn off and leave to cool. Once cold, pit olives and discard seeds. Reserve cooking liquid.
- Combine all the ingredients - pitted olives, apple, garlic, coriander in a blender. Add the water slowly as you blend - the result should be a nice green puree. Add more water to give a thick consistency.
- Season to taste and serve as you like
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Citrus & Olives
Exaggerated Chocolate Chip Cookies
Extra thin, extra delicious.
Ultra Thin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Easygoing banana bread.
DIY Herb Rub
Pasta e Fagioli
Go play outside!