If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: No Greek kitchen is without two ingredients: Lemons and Olives. While I'm not of Greek descent, my husband is and I am fully aware of the benefits of the Mediterranean diet. Few foods add such flavor magic as lemons.
While one might create lemonade when given lemons, I chose to create a healthy comfort food. The simplicity of this recipe, its warmth and mingling of flavors makes one happy mouthful.
You can easily play with the recipe by incorporating different beans and adding more veggies. If I had artichoke hearts I would've loved to have added them. You might also choose to serve it alone as a thick and creamy stew or over a bed of sauteed spinach or kale.
One more option would be to serve it over some whole wheat orzo doused in lemon.
The Mediterranean just entered my bowl! Enjoy! - hercarrot
Serves 2-4 (depends on if serving over a grain or not)
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Crushed, Minced
- 1/2 Yellow Onion, Chopped
- 15 ounces Can, Garbanzo Beans
- 1/2 15-oz Can, Navy Beans
- 2 cups Low-Sodium, Chicken Broth (or Vegetable Broth)
- 1-6oz Can, Tomato Paste
- 2 Lemons, fresh squeezed juice
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano or 1 T fresh, chopped
- 1/4 cup Kalamata Olives, quartered
- Feta Cheese, crumbled (optional garnish)
- 1-2 handfuls Spinach, washed
- Pre-Prep: Chop onions, garlic, cilantro and olives. Set aside.
- Heat a large small skillet on medium heat. Add olive oil to pan. Heat for a few seconds then add onions and garlic, cooking until onions are slightly translucent (4 minutes).
- Place a heavy saucepan or dutch oven on the stove and add beans, chicken broth, tomato paste, olives, lemon juice, and cilantro . Stir to combine then add garlic and onion saute.
- Cook for approximately 30 minutes, it will thicken up nicely! (This will depend on your stove and the pot you use, mine was going to burn if I cooked it longer then 35 mins.)
- Meanwhile: Cook the grain of your choice. I love whole wheat orzo. Bring water to a boil (based on serving size you're making) add grain and follow cooking time.
- After 25 minutes add the spinach and mix so that it wilts nicely. Take off the stove and serve in a bowl, top with Feta cheese and a fresh squeeze of lemon juice! SERVE and ENJOY!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Citrus & Olives
Recipe of the Day
Garden Mule Cocktail
Garden Mule Cocktail
Fresh beer, anywhere.
What to Do With Marjoram
How to keep produce longer.
Go play outside!