Author Notes: Like JoanG, when I hear the word "olive", I immediately think: Martini! I have friends who maintain a perfect martini is a glass of ice-cold gin or vodka that they've waved in the general direction of Italy. I like a tad more flavor. This recipe is a spin on the classic dirty martini; added to the olives, olive juice and dry vermouth is homemade Meyer lemon-infused vodka. - wssmom - wssmom
Food52 Review: Move over James Bond: wssmom has created a new, more perfect martini that is simply sheer genius. If you are going to infuse vodka with lemon, then do make it Meyer. There is something intoxicating about Meyer lemons and when they team up with a great vodka, you make a perfect match. Purists might argue that martinis are all about gin, but not when you start with your own Meyer lemon vodka. I used Stoli vodka and waited 3 days before mixing this drink. I even waited for a civilized hour of late afternoon to test this out. The chilled glass is such a lovely touch. This drink comes together so well, I never realized how good a martini could be. The muddied olive juice and Spanish olives with Meyer's lemon vodka can be your new antidote to a stressful week. Thank you wssmom for this well-thought out recipe. This drink rocks! - Sagegreen
The Meyer-infused Vodka
- 4 (or more) Meyer lemons, cut into chunks, peel and all
- A fifth of decent vodka
- Put the chunks of Meyer lemon in a quart-sized (or larger) wide-mouthed glass jar, fill with vodka, and put in the refrigerator for a couple of days. Use any leftover vodka to make penne with vodka sauce or Bloody Mary's or something.
- 6 ounces of the lemon vodka
- 1 ounce olive juice (Oliver's Twist, Dirty Tony's, Bevmo, etc). In a pinch, you can use the brine from a bottle of top-quality Spanish green olives
- 1 ounce dry vermouth
- 4-6 Spanish green olives, speared on a toothpick
- Strain vodka into a shaker half-filled with cracked ice, add olive juice and vermouth. Shake briskly for 30 seconds or so, and strain into a well-chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with the speared olives.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Poolside Cocktail
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Citrus & Olives