If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: What better way is there to balance the hearty fare of winter than to serve it with a light salad full of bright-tasting pomelos and barely sweet Cara Caras, dressed with a citrus vinaigrette? This recipe makes more dressing than you’ll need for two salads, but it keeps well. I vary this salad sometimes by substituting a few thin slices of ripe avocado, mashed and creamed, for a tablespoon of the olive oil in this, and then adding a few slices of avocado to the salad. You can use any green olives you like. I prefer fruity ones, but of course, whatever kind you like best will do just fine. Enjoy!! ;o) —AntoniaJames
- 1 small head butter lettuce, torn into medium pieces
- 1 pomelo, peeled and cut into suprêmes (See note below about reserving some juice.)
- 1 Cara Cara orange, peeled and cut into suprêmes
- 8-10 Picholine or Castelvetrano olives (or use both kinds)
- 8 – 10 Marcona almonds (or any roasted whole almonds)
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Meyer lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon pomelo juice (See note below.)
- 1 teaspoon grated zest of a Meyer lemon
- 1 teaspoon grated zest of a pomelo
- 1 tiny pinch of ground coriander (or, for a completely different take, finely crushed star anise)
- 1 tiny pinch of salt, plus more, to taste, if desired
- A few drops of honey (or more to taste, depending on the tartness of your pomelo)
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 - 3 tablespoons olive oil, to taste
- Black or white peppercorns
- Mix all of the ingredients for the dressing except the olive oil in a jar; stir well and allow it to sit for at least an hour.
- Strain, if you’re so inclined. Otherwise, add the olive oil and shake well for about thirty seconds.
- Toss the lettuce in about 2 tablespoons of the dressing. If that’s not enough, add a bit more and toss again. Test for salt and correct.
- Arrange the lettuce on a plate, then arrange the other ingredients. Drizzle on more dressing if desired. Grind on some black or white pepper.
- Enjoy!! ;o)
- N.B. To get the pomelo juice you need for this, simply use a strainer that's larger than your fist, through which you squeeze hard with your hand what's left after cutting away the suprêmes. ;o)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Citrus & Olives
A Can-Do Soda
Endless possibilities of syrup, ice, seltzer, and cream
Italian soda is can-do.
Learning to love fruit with chocolate.
We've got the summer blues.
The best donuts—ever.
A better basket.