If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is not a traditional fondue. I love the traditional fondue and have enjoyed it many times, even in Switzerland. This is a red wine, porcini mushroom kind of fondue. Red meat, like filet of beef is fantastic cooked in this. - dymnyno - dymnyno
Food52 Review: Wine, cheese, mushrooms, and beef are the perfect pairings for this divine dish that can best be described as “heaven on a stick.” I was expecting a thick cheesy sauce. Instead, the sauce is smooth and tangy with great depth of flavor and just the right creaminess to lightly coat the beef. I doubled the amount of beef and still had plenty of the fondue sauce. I served this to guests alongside creamy polenta and a mustardy mixed greens salad, with a full-bodied red wine. “Ridiculously delicious” was the overall consensus, and a dish that I’m sure to make over and over again. - SwoonMySpoon
- 4 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
- 4 ounces Fontina cheese, grated
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, reconstituted in 1 cup of red wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 clove garlic, microplaned
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces filet of beef, cubed
- In a medium pot , rub the microplaned garlic to coat the bottom .
- Squeeze the wine out of the reconstituted mushrooms and chop them very fine and add to the pot with the red wine used in reconstituting and heat to simmer.
- In a bowl, mix the Gruyere and Fontina cheeses with the flour.
- Slowly melt the cheeses, adding them to the pot slowly while whisking. The fondue will be very thick. Add the milk while continuing to whisk the cheeses and milk together with the red wine and mushrooms.
- Whisk the parmesan into the fondue and add the black pepper. If the fondue is too thick, add more milk.
- If you have a fondue pot, use that to keep the fondue very hot. I used a little crock pot.
- Skewer the meat cubes and dip into the fondue and cook to order.
Freeze It Right There
A fruity, frozen spin on a classic.
A bananas frozen daiquiri.
Plan a genius dinner party: part one.
All you need for Memorial Day.
Community Picks: Lettuce-Free Salad
A trusty trivet.