If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have been fan of Sonali's Mashed Potatoes with Caramelized Onions and Goat Cheese ever since Thanksgiving and it has shown up regularly at our dinner table. The fondue contest gave me a chance to play with these yummy flavors some more! - wssmom
- 1 teaspoon each olive oil and butter
- 1 small onion, sliced thinly
- a pinch each of salt and sugar
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 smashed garlic clove
- 1 pound teeny new potatoes
- 6-8 ounces goat cheese (more if you like it thicker)
- Melt the olive oil and butter together in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion, salt and sugar and cook about a half-hour, or until golden. The last five minutes, add the smashed garlic clove. Remove the onions with a slotted spoon and set on paper towels to drain. Discard the garlic clove, deglaze the pan with the wine and simmer about a minute or until reduced.
- Return the onions to the skillet, and add the cream (and a bay leaf, if you are so inclined). Stir it a bit and let set off the heat while you start the potatoes, so the flavors have a chance to mingle.
- Put the teeny potatoes into a medium saucepan, cover with water, add about a tablespoon of salt, and bring to a boil. Simmer 12-15 minutes, or until you can easily pierce a potato with a fork. Drain the potatoes and keep warm somewhere if you're not quite finished with step 4.
- When the potatoes are nearly done, pour the cream through a strainer into your fondue pot, or a double boiler, or a really heavy smallish saucepan, and turn up the heat. Add the goat cheese and stir until the fondue is smooth. Season with salt and pepper (you could also add some fresh herbs), and serve with the new potatoes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fondue
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
That was a close shave.