If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love blood oranges with their mild raspberry –like flavor when they are in season. The sparkling wine adds a slightly crisp back note, and you can use prosecco, cava, or freixenet to your own pleasing. The blood oranges give you a little cupid blush. You will need an Ice cream maker for this. I use a Cuisinart model with a maximum capacity of 1 ½ quarts. I prepared this sorbet for a Valentine’s dinner for 30 people with an alternate mandarin sorbet. It’s tricky because once it is finished you need to serve it right away or else you must stick it in the freezer quickly. It will begin to get watery almost immediately. A bit of a freeze is kind of the trick and it does hold well for a day or so. Scrape up any frozen bits on the bottom and work them back in before serving. I’ve treated this as a palate cleanser after a spicy main course like gumbo. - pierino
Serves 8 i hope
- 2 cups blood orange juice, or mandarin or red grapefruit or your choice
- 1 cup prosecco
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- Pinch of salt
- Prepare a simple syrup mixture with water and sugar. And it is simple; combine water and sugar and heat to just before it boils. Stir until all of the sugar is dissolved. Set aside
- Juice as many oranges as it takes you arrive at two cups of juice. Depends on the juicyness of the orange variety. Push that through a fine mesh strainer so that any residual seed or pulp material is captured and discarded
- Whisk the juice into the syrup along with that little bit of salt. Stir in the prosecco
- Chill covered in the refrigerator for two to three hours
- From this point you will need to follow the instructions for your ice cream maker. Mine requires that you freeze the container ahead and then, while the machine is running pour the sorbet mixture in. Let it run for twenty minutes until it looks like sorbet
- Freeze if not using at once
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
We're woven this backpack.