If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Citrus fruits are loaded with Vitamin C, antioxidants, fiber and they are low in calories. They are delicious in both sweet and savory recipes like this salad. - Viviane Bauquet Farre
For the vinaigrette
- 1 small shallot – finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest (use microplane grater)
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest (use microplane grater)
- 1 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped kalamata olives
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds – crushed in a mortar
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
For the salad
- 1 small fennel bulb
- 1 blood orange – peeled, halved and cut crosswise in 1/4” slices
- 1 clementine – peeled, halved and cut crosswise in 1/4” slices
- 2 large handfuls baby arugula – rinsed and spun dry
- Parmesan shavings as garnish (use a potato hand peeler)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fennel greens
- Place the chopped shallot, vinegar, zests, juice, olives, fennel seeds, salt and pepper to taste, and oil in small bowl and whisk until well blended. Set aside.
- Trim the stalks from the fennel bulb. Snip the greens from the stalks and save them for the salad below. Cut the fennel bulb in half. Using a mandoline, cut the fennel in paper-thin slices. Set aside in a bowl. Cook’s note: If you do not have a mandoline, you can use a potato hand-peeler. Cut the fennel bulb in quarters and shave the bulb starting right across the top and working your way down.
- In a large bowl gently mix the arugula with the fennel. Divide equally in the center of four large plates. Garnish each salad with a few orange and clementine slices. Drizzle with the olive vinaigrette. Top each salad with some Parmesan shavings. Sprinkle with the chopped fennel greens and freshly ground pepper and serve immediately.
Jam is a Liquid
And other things to keep in mind when traveling with food.
Do not pack these foods in your carry-on.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Let's get chopping.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
That was a close shave.