If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I first tasted a version of this in Bocas del Toro, Panama while enjoying dessert at a small over-the-sea diner. The exotic taste of the passion fruit combined with tart lime juice and zest is an amazing party in the mouth when whisked with hot cream and topped with a syrup of passion fruit. The seeds included in the syrup add a textural dimension that is out of this world! - DigNDine —DigNDine
Food52 Review: Alas, during the winter doldrums, I was unable to find fresh passion fruit anywhere in Baltimore, so I substituted 2 cups of 100% passion fruit juice, added the sugar, and reduced it to one cup of syrup. The recipe is wonderfully creamy and has a lovely tang to it thanks to the use of yogurt, which cuts the sweetness and enhances the tropical flavor. It has a lot of lime in it, and I think if I had been able to find passion fruit, perhaps the lime would not have been as prominent a flavor. It left a slightly sour aftertaste, which 3 out of my 5 tasters liked. I will absolutely make this again and will use real fruit. If you are using the juice, I would reduce the sugar to 1/2 cup in making the syrup, and back off the lime juice and zest just a little. Perhaps just 4 tsp. of lime juice and 3 tsp. of zest. This is dinner party worthy with a dollop of whipped cream. —Burnt Offerings
Passion Fruit Syrup
- 1 cup passion fruit (including seeds)
- 1 cup sugar
Passion Fruit Puddings
- 2 cups cream
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/3 cup passion fruit syrup w/o seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon powdered gelatin
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- Make passion fruit syrup by combining sugar and passion fruit in a pan and bringing to a gentle boil. Stir on medium low until sugar is dissolved. Remove 1/3 cup of syrup with no seeds. Reserve remainder for topping.
- Heat cream, vanilla, lime zest and sugar. Bring to a boil and mix well. Turn off heat.
- Combine gelatin and lime juice in a small dish. Whisk into hot cream.
- Add yogurt and the 1/3 cup seedless passion fruit syrup to the hot cream.
- Pour into (8) individual serving cups and refrigerate for eight hours. Serve chilled with chilled passion fruit topping.
You Can Have It All
Well, at least your zucchini bread—er, cake—can
Zucchini cake is everything you want.
The dreamiest foods around.
We've got the (summer) blues.
Burnt Toast: Episode 13
Have a ball (jar).