If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I came across cardamom-pistachio sugar in a little herb and spice shop in Melbourne, and have found that it makes for a lovely moist tea cake when combined with pears and almond flour. - KateAlice. —KateAlice.
Food52 Review: These cakes have a pleasantly soft and tender texture which is the perfect background for the flavorful pistachio-cardamom topping. I'm glad I made extra of the topping because now I want to sprinkle everything with it! Please note that the cakes are quite moist and sticky, meaning they might be difficult to get out of some molds. I used a silicone muffin pan, though, and had no problem popping them out. - vrunka —vrunka
Makes 4 small cakes
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup minus 2 tablespoons blonde cane sugar (aka raw caster sugar)
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom and crushed pistachio
- 2/3 cup almond meal/flour
- 1 ripe pear
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom and crushed pistachio, extra
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C and grease or line either one small cake pan or 4 friand/muffin moulds
- Peel the pear. Cut half of it into thin slices. Use a fork to crush the other half in a small bowl.
- Beat the egg whites until they are foamy, but not stiff peaks. Put to one side
- In a medium bowl, combine the sugar with the almond flour
- Add the grapeseed oil and vanilla extract to the mashed pear and combine
- Add this mixture to the flour and using a wooden spoon, stir to combine
- Add the egg and continue to stir, making sure it is well combined
- Pour the batter into moulds/cake pan
- Bake for 20 minutes, then add the remaining pear slices and top with extra cardamom and crushed pistachios. Bake for a further 20-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove and let cool before unmoulding.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Gluten-Free Baked Good
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.