If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: So lately, my boyfriend and I have been really craving tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. We ate some at a restaurant not too long ago and it's been stuck in our minds ever since. I ideally would love to make this during the summer when the tomatoes are unbelievably delicious and much more affordable. I wasn't about to spend some ridiculous amount on fresh tomatoes during winter, which quite frankly wont even taste good anyway. I decided to go with the highest quality canned Italian tomatoes. It turned out delicious, is super fast and easy to make. Paired with a truly awesome grilled cheese, well its just pretty fabulous. Quite an impressive version of an old American classic or Zuppa di Pomodoro in Italian which is often thickened with bread.
- Nicole Franzen
- 1 28 oz can of high quality tomatoes like San Marzano
- 4 cups of vegetable stock
- 2 carrots
- 2 stalks of celery
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 yellow onion
- 1/2 cup of cream
- handful fresh basil
- sea salt, pepper and chili flakes
for grilled cheese
- your favorite bread, I used a yummy sesame bread
- your favorite cheese, I used a ridiculous truffled italian cheese called sottocenere al tartufo
- a little butter
- In a large pot on medium heat add a little butter, chopped carrots, celery, onion and garlic. Season with a pinch of sea salt, pepper and chili flakes. Cook till tender about 5 minutes. Add the can of tomatoes and finish with 4 cups of vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer then turn off heat. Using a hand blender, blend the soup until smooth. Add a handful of fresh basil and blend again. Once smooth finish with a half cup of cream. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. The longer it sits the better it tastes but it could be ready to eat in as little as a half an hour.
- For the best grilled cheese, slice bread and place cheese inside. Butter each side of the sandwich and place in a saute pan on medium-low heat. Flip with golden brown. Yum! easy.