If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Blancmange is a sweet almond-flavored milk pudding usually thickened with gelatin. In this case, I redefine the concept and create a lighter texture using cornstarch and distinguished flavor using orange flavor and topped with homemade fig marmalade. - Lisycooks
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/2 blood orange peel
- 1 clove
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- Place 1 cup of the milk into a saucepan. Add orange peel and clove. Bring milk to a simmer over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, sugar and salt. Whisk remaining milk into the cornstarch mixture. When the milk in the pan begins to simmer, pour the cornstarch mixture into the saucepan in a thin steady stream. Whisk vigorously and increase heat just a bit to bring the mixture to a gentle boil. Allow the mixture to boil for a little, continuing to whisk, then remove from heat. Remove the orange peel and clove. Stir in the pinch of nutmeg and the extract.
- Pour the pudding into six ramekins, covered with plastic wrap directly on the pudding so it doesn't get a skin. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight. Garnish with the fig marmalade.
- 1 pound Figs
- 1/2 pound sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- Blood orange zest and peel
- 1 tablespoon brandy or whisky
- Wash the figs, break them open, and combine them with the sugar and orange peel in a bowl. Cover them and let them rest overnight.
- Next morning heat the figs with a pinch of salt over a moderate flame, stirring. Let them scorch until they come to a boil. Add the orange zest and brandy or whisky; reduce the heat, and simmer, skimming away the foam occasionally, until a drop on an inclined plate doesn't run. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pudding
Soffritto: The Superstar
Your new favorite three-ingredient ingredient.
Soffritto's a superstar.
Lettuce love vegetables.
The Daily Grind
Bold and brewtiful coffee.