Author Notes: I decided to host a World Cup party last year with a dish from each of the countries in Group C. England, the U.S., and Slovenia were fairly easy, but I had no idea what would represent Algeria. Extensive Googling led me to a recipe from an Algerian chef; with a few tweaks, it became my favorite dish of the day. I'm not crazy about fennel, but it works really well here. - mg2157
- 5-6 large carrots
- 2 bulbs fennel
- 1/3 cup good green olives, chopped
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- zest of one lemon
- 1 pinch smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Shred carrots in food processor or with mandoline. Repeat process with fennel. Toss fennel, carrots and sun-dried tomatoes together in large bowl.
- In medium bowl, whisk together chopped olives, olive oil, vinegar, lemon zest and smoked paprika.
- Pour dressing over vegetable mixture and toss to combine. Just before serving, stir in parsley and taste for seasoning.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe