Author Notes: That's an excellent carrot cake, moist, rich, fragrant with spices, not too sweet and truly delicious! - Ausra
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 ounces cream cheese
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350oF.
- Butter one 9 x 13" baking pan (or two 9" round pans). Line the bottom of the pan with parchment, butter the parchment, dust with flour.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In the large bowl wisk together sugar and oil. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- Add flour mixture to the egg mixture. Mix until just incorporated.
- Add shredded carrots, nuts, raisins, ginger, mix everything. Spoon the batter into prepared pan (pans). Bake 35-40 min or until tester inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven, let it cool for 20 minutes, then flip it out of the baking pan, remove the parchment and place it on the serving platter or cake stand. Let cool completely.
- For icing: beat cream cheese and butter with electric mixer until smooth. Add sugar, salt, vanilla extract, mix well.
- If icing is too thick you can add 1-2 tablespoon of milk. If icing is too thin - add more powdered sugar.
- Ice the cake with icing. Decorate, if you wish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe