If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: ...unless your toddler likes spices, chiles and sriracha. In which case he or she will gobble these up just like the grownups.These light and crispy croquettes are all about the carrot. There is little filler, so the texture is all vegetable studded with little bits of chile, scallion and cilantro to sink your teeth into. A coating of panko crumbs ensures a crisp exterior, begging for a dip in the sriracha laced yogurt sauce, which in and of itself is mildly addictive. - TasteFood —TasteFood
Food52 Review: The natural sweetness of the carrots is matched well by the addition of the green onions, cilantro, jalapeno and lemon juice in these croquettes. The yogurt acts to tone down the ‘smoky’ intensity of the black pepper, cumin and coriander. The finished dish, well spiced and delicate, has the right blend of an airy crunchiness, yet retains the earthy, satisfying ‘mouthfeel’ expected of most root vegetables. The Sriracha yogurt dip is a great side by itself, although the heat from the sauce tends to slightly overpower the beautiful balance of flavors. (I’d recommend patting the steamed carrots dry with a paper towel prior to mashing.) —Panfusine
Makes 16 croquettes
For the carrot croquettes
- 8 large carrots, peeled, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 3/4 cups Panko bread crumbs, divided
- 2 green onions, ends trimmed, white and green parts minced
- 1 small red jalapeno or serrano chile pepper, stemmed and seeded, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Greek-style whole milk yogurt
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Sriracha-Yogurt Sauce (recipe below)
- Steam carrots until very soft, 30-40 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and mash. (There should be about 2 cups.)
- Place 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl; set aside. Add 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, green onion, chile pepper, cilantro, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper to the carrots. Stir to combine. Stir in yogurt and lemon juice.
- Using a soup spoon, scoop out a spoonful of the carrots. Lightly form into a 1 1/2 inch patty. Gently roll in reserved breadcrumbs to coat. Place on a platter. Repeat with remaining carrots. (Croquettes may be prepared to this point up to 3 hours before cooking. Loosely cover with plastic and refrigerate.)
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add croquettes in batches. Fry until golden brown, turning once, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel. Repeat with remaining carrots.
- Transfer croquettes to a serving plate. Serve with Sriracha-Yogurt Sauce and lemon wedges. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.
For the Sriracha-Yogurt Sauce
- 1 cup Greek-style whole milk yogurt
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Pinch of salt, to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe
Go Greek (Yogurt)
The secret to lighter, tangier whipped cream
Yogurt whipped cream: your new go-to.
Bagel and lox, in a salad.
Savor the season.
Tennessee whiskey is the tops.
Orange you sweet.