If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Not overly carrot-y, only sweet enough to enhance that carrot intrigue, and very nutritious! Serving is one hearty breakfast, just multiply each ingredient by number of brunch/breakfast guests to make more (you may find you/they can't down as much oatmeal as this oatmeal fanatic--leftovers in the fridge make a really nice pudding-like snack) - Raquelita
Serves 1 or 2
- 1/3 cup rolled oats (aka "old fashioned" or "5 minute")
- 1 teaspoon ground flaxseed meal
- 2 teaspoons oat bran
- 1/3 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1 1/2 cups cool water
- 2 dried black mission figs, chopped fine (discard stem)
- 2 pitted dried dates, chopped fine
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- dashes nutmeg
- dashes cardamom
- pinches sea salt
- 2 tablespoons green pumpkin seeds
- splashes cream, milk or soy milk
- To toast the pumpkin seeds, heat a skillet dry for a few minutes, then add them and shake the pan every minute until they toast and start to pop. Remove from heat. You could substitute pepitas (already roasted and salted pumpkin seeds), just omit the salt from the recipe.
- Combine oats, oat bran, flax meal, shredded carrot, chopped dried fruit, spices and water in small saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring with a wooden spatula (to keep bottom from sticking). The flax and bran will start to bind the mixture as it heats, so keep re-incorporating and stirring to keep everything smooth. (You can go get some coffee and come back, this is not a high-maintenance oatmeal. If at any point during cooking the mixture starts to bubble and boil rapidly, turn down your heat, stir really well, and keep cooking, add a little extra water if it's clumpy). After about 12 minutes, the mixture will be velvety, with no visual distinction between liquid and solid ingredients and the bubbles should rise and pop slowly. Remove from heat, give it a few more vigorous stirs, and turn into a serving bowl.
- Sprinkle a little salt and the roasted pumpkin seeds over the oatmeal. Drizzle a few teaspoons of medium-colored honey over top (don't overpower the carrots with sweetness, but this helps enhance their flavor). Splash some milk around the outside edge of the oatmeal. The oatmeal is sort of thickened like a pudding, so I like to drag spoonfuls through the honey and milk to really make it feel gourmet as I eat.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe
Jam is a Liquid
And other things to keep in mind when traveling with food.
Do not pack these foods in your carry-on.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Let's get chopping.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
That was a close shave.