Author Notes: This beautifully colored soup is a nice variation on traditional chicken soup and the almonds and ginger add a modern touch. - foodfanatic
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 pound carrots, juliened
- 1 medium yam
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 cups chicken broth, preferably homemade
- 1 piece of fresh ginger, peeled ( about 1/2 inch in size )
- Saute the onion, carrots and yam in a large pot until golden and softened.
- Add the stock and ginger and simmer with the lid on until all the vegetables are soft.
- Puree in a blender and adjust the seasoning.
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup fine matzo meal
- 1/3 cake to 1/2 cup white grape juice
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Mix together the ground almond, vegetable oil, ginger and one tsp of sugar.
- Beat the eggs and add to the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the matzo meal and grape juice and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 2 tablespoons of kosher salt , 1 tablespoon of sugar and a knob of fresh ginger.
- Turn the heat down to low and drop spoonfuls of the mixture into the water. Gently boil for 35 minutes without removing the lid.
- Turn off the stove and leave the matzo balls in the water for a few minutes to prevent them from shrinking and hardening.
- Serve immediately with the soup.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe