If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe comes from the Piedmont region of Italy where Guiliana Clerico created it, who, along with her husband Domenico, is one of Piedmont's outstanding wine producers. I adapted it for "Deliciously Italian: 101 Recipes to Share and Enjoy." It's perfect for the crisp days of late autumn when the leaves have changed color and the first whiffs of winter are in the air. - Federico_
- 1 4 lb free range chicken cut in half
- 2 celery stalks, cut into thirds
- 1 carrot, cut into thirds
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 10 assorted peppercorns
- 4 springs Italian parsley
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 liver from the chicken, diced
- 2 sprigs fresh basil
- 2 additional springs fresh parsley
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 pound tagilatelle, broken into 2-3 inch pieces
- salt and pepper
- parsley and basil for garnish
- Place the chicken, celery, carrot, onion, peppercorns, parsley, thyme, and bay leaf into a large soup pot and cook over medium-low heat for 2 1/2 hours, skimming fat off the top every half hour or so. Remove the chicken and set aside. Strain the stock through a fine mesh strainer (for a thicker soup, press all ingredients through a food mill) discarding solids. When chicken cools, remove skin and debone. Shred the dark meat, and refrigerate. Reserve white meat for another use.
- Heat olive oil in small skillet and saute the chicken livers for about 3 minutes. Return the straiuned stocfk to the soup pot and bring to a boil, then lower heat once again to a simmer. Annd the basil, additional parsley sprigs. chopped tomato, and tagilatelle. Cook until the pasta is al dente; then stir in the shredded dark meat chicken and livers. Discard bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve in individual bowls garnished with basil and parsley leaves.
Prep Makes Perfect
Put your best pan forth.
Prep your pans for perfection.
Make better coffee.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Behind the scenes.