If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The first-class dinner menu on the RMS TITANIC
for April 14, 1912, included "Creamed Carrots." We featured this dish in our book "Cooking with the Movies: Meals on Reels."
- Anthony Chiffolo
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and julienned
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, well drained
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- fresh tarragon
- Place the carrots in a medium saucepan with enough water to cover. Cook for 4–5 minutes, keeping the texture al dente . Drain the water, and set the carrots aside.
- Over a low heat, combine the butter and flour, stirring frequently to prevent lumping. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, salt, pepper, cinnamon, and nutmeg,mixing well. Fold in the horseradish and cream and bring to a boil once again. Cook until the mixture is slightly thickened. Pour over the carrots.
- Place the carrots onto a serving platter and sprinkle with fresh tarragon.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Horseradish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe
This Menu's No Impasta
A winner of a chicken dinner from across the pond.
An Italian menu that's no impasta.
Shore-fire recipes for the beach.
Treats for your beach bag.
Raise a (recycled) glass.