If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is just a slurry of raw carrots, apple, shallot, and sesame "emulsified" with rice wine vinegar. But "slurry" to me brings to mind the gray slush of late February while "relish" brings to mind cranberries and other pretty condiments.
This raw slurry (relish? sauce? dressing? condiment?) is addictive and delicious as a thick salad dressing. It's best, I think, on roast chicken or grilled meats because it's acidity works so well with them in the way that cranberry sauce does. If you feel that it's too "light" for your taste, add about a teaspoon of miso. I love it the way it is and often take generous "tastes" right out of the processor.
I hope you enjoy it! - chiocolat
Serves 2-4 (depending on how much is left after "tasting")
- 200 grams raw carrots (no need to peel)
- 40 grams (about a quarter) apple (no need to peel)
- 5 grams (about half of a very tiny) shallot (do peel this)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seed
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) rice wine vinegar
- Add all of the ingredients in the blender or food processor and combine. It's done!
- Taste for seasoning. If you want a slightly thicker, less sprightly sauce, add a teaspoon of miso.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe
What's sweet and sour and your new favorite ingredient?
The answer is tamarind.
Ottolenghi's secret ingredient.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Live la vie en rose.
Take these foods to go.