If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Carrot soup still seems as seasonal, welcome, and delicious in late February as it did in the Fall. This soup is my variation on a recipe by Marjorie Druker from her powerhouse cookbook, "New England Soup Factory Cookbook". I have lightened it a little, added fennel, and given it a little kick with the addition of a pinch of crushed red pepper. This soup can also be made with coconut milk instead of half & half, for a more exotic flavor. - BakingMaggie
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1 bulb fennel, chopped (fronds reserved)
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup half & half
- kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- pinches crushed red pepper
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed soup pot.
- Add garlic, onion, celery, fennel, carrots and ginger. Saute for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add stock, bring to a boil, then cover and lower heat to a gentle simmer. Let simmer for 30 minutes, until all vegetables are soft and tender.
- Remove from the heat. Add coriander, ginger, crushed red pepper and honey. Let cool slightly.
- Puree soup in batches in a regular blender until very smooth. Return to pot.
- Add half & half, and season to taste with freshly ground black pepper and kosher salt.
- Serve in bowls or mugs with a garnish of chopped fennel frond.
Tags: doubled easily
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe
Butter, Butter, Repeat
Puff pastry: No pain, all the gain.
Puff Pastry Primer
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Recipe of the Day
All the spring pastabilities.
That was a close shave.