If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When I was a little kid, my hero was Bugs Bunny. Seriously. I think I dressed up as Bugs for five straight Halloweens. The rest of the year, I would walk around with an ever-present carrot, take a bite, and say (in what I know now was a truly pathetic imitation of Bugs Bunny's voice) "Ahhhh ... what's up, doc?" My parents put up with this because first, they thought they were encouraging my creativity, and second, they figured eventually, I'd grow out of it. And, eventually, I did. Kind of. I still love Bugs Bunny. And the rest of the Loony Tunes gang. And carrots, which I sneak into recipes at every chance. - wssmom
- 3 cups peeled and sliced potatoes
- 2 cups peeled and sliced skinny carrots (the kind Bugs used to nibble on)
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 cup sliced leeks, white part only, washed to remove any grit
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cara cara orange, juiced
- 1 quarter-sized piece of crystallized ginger, chopped
- 3/4 cup zero fat Greek style yogurt (you can add more if you like it thicker, or you can thin the soup after adding the yogurt with milk, if you prefer)
- chopped chives and/or pickled ginger to garnish
- Combine potatoes, onion, leeks and carrots with water in a large saucepan; add salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until veggies are very tender, from 30 to 40 minutes.
- At this point, ask yourself: What would Bugs do? a) cool it down and puree in a blender with the orange juice and the ginger b) leave it in the saucepan and use a immersion blender to puree with the orange juice and the ginger, or c) Not wait for it to cool down but immediately puree with the orange juice and the ginger in a blender, taking the little plastic thing out of the center of the cover and holding the cover on with a folded towel so it doesn't erupt like an Acme blender would. (Correct response: C)
- If you wish, you can pout it through a sieve, but you don't have to. Stir in yogurt, chill thoroughly, and serve forth garnished with chopped chives or pickled ginger (or both), whilst saying "Ahhhh .... what's up, doc?"
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe
Just Like Mom Used To Make
Easygoing banana bread.
Easygoing banana bread.
Pasta e Fagioli
DIY Herb Rub
Vegetarian Ma Po Tofu
Go play outside!