If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: WAIT - before you run screaming away with visions of warm crusty mayo in the sun, or start yelling "WHO EATS THAT CRAP?" - this is different. I mean really, who DOES eat that warm gross possibly toxic goo from days of yore? This is a version that you might actually like - sweet and sour with toasted spices ... - aargersi
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon whole fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon whole brown mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon whole fenugreek seed (I think those are seeds! Grains? Anyhow not the ground kind)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 4 cups peeled shredded carrot (5 or 6 large carrots)
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil
- salt and pepper
- a generous fistful of cilantro
- 1 pinch aleppo pepper
- Whisk the sugar and vinegar together in a microwave safe something (I used a glass measuring cup)
- Dry toast the whole spices in a medium hot skillet until they smell wonderful and start to pop a little. Put them in a mortar and pestle and gently crush them. Whisk them into the sugar and vinegar along with the aleppo pepper, then stir in the raisins and nuke the whole thing for one minute to warm it a bit and plump the raisins.
- Peel and shred your carrots and put them in a big bowl. Stir in the raisin and vinegar mixture, then the walnut oil. Add a pinch of salt and a bit of pepper, taste and adjust accordingly. Now cover it and put it in the fridge to marinate for an hour or so, or overnight. When you are ready, stir in the cilantro and serve!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe