If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The goal is to shred or dice the ingredients as finely as possible: paper thin shavings of cabbage, tiny dice of peppers make a delicately textured, tart salad that is a delicious foil to roast chicken or fish dishes. It can be altered according to what you have in the house or what's available at the market: parsley in place of cilantro, scallion or shallot in place of onion, and tomatoes instead of peppers will all make a brightly colored, flavorful dish. - creamtea
Serves 6-8 as a side dish
For the salad
- 2/3 medium head of cabbage
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1/4 sweet onion,such as Vidalia, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Shred the cabbage--the thinner, the better. You really want the thinnest shavings possible. Maybe you have a mandoline. Since I don't, my way is to place a cutting board at the left edge of the kitchen sink so that the edge of the board aligns with the sink edge. Place a large bowl inside the sink and below the board, so that as you cut, you can sweep the shavings right into the bowl. Place a washed and dried wedge of cabbage on the board, and with a very sharp knife, make light, forward-moving cuts. Don't cut through to the board each time, just make partial cuts so you can gauge the fineness of each shave. Not as difficult as it sounds, and you'll soon get the hang of it. It helps to rotate the wedge of cabbage slightly as you go, because it's easier to get a thin cut when you have a somewhat smaller surface to work with. Periodically sweep the cabbage shavings into the bowl.
- Cut and seed the peppers and slice into very thin strips. Cut crosswise into tiny dice and add to the cabbage.
- Add the minced onion and cilantro into the cabbage mixture and toss gently.
for the dressing
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced and mashed with a pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, mix the lemon juice and garlic. Add salt and a few grinds of pepper to taste and stir. Add the olive oil in a stream, beating with a whisk or fork, until emulsified.
- Just before serving, drizzle the salad with the dressing. Toss to coat, taste and adjust seasoning.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Green Stuff
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Green Holiday Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Herbs
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Greens
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
4 Wildcard Winning Recipes
Wildcard Winner Recap
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Do you haiku?
Bake yourself breakfast.