If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Experimenting further with brown teff I came up with a new breakfast bowl this morning. Carrots are used three different ways here. First with carrot juice and shredded carrots, I cooked up the teff. Then I tossed the warm porridge with cashews, raw ginger, citrus zest, blueberries and raw carrots for a perfectly healthy blend of salty, sour and sweet. I had not thought of carrots for breakfast before, but they are pretty sweet. You can wake up your breakfast with this porridge. And it's not just for breakfast. You can enjoy this dish warm or cold really anytime. JessicaTom first aroused my curiosity about teff with her pudding recipe. Pauljoseph inspired me to try the cold molded salad version through his carrot rava upma recipe with semolina. —Sagegreen
- 1/3 cup brown teff grains
- 1 cup fresh organic carrot juice (or bottled)
- 2/3 cup finely shredded fresh organic carrots
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange peel and 1 tsp. juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest and 1 tsp. juice, Meyer if available
- 1/3 cup fresh blueberries or pomegranate seeds (or dried cranberries or cherries)
- 1/3 cup cashews, crushed (or sub pine nuts or pepitas)
- 1/2 cup finely grated raw carrot
- 1-2 teaspoons peeled grated ginger
- mint leaf for garnish, optional
- Heat the grains of teff in a pan to bring out more flavor. Then add the carrot juice and 3/4 cups of finely grated carrots. Bring to a boil. Cover and let simmer for 15-20 minutes until the liquid is absorbed. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine the blueberries (or other fruit), citrus zest and juices, nuts and 1/2 cup raw carrot with the grated ginger.
- Combine the fruit mix with the warm porridge. Serve while warm. Garnish with mint leaves. This can also be eaten cool as a side salad if you like. For the cold version, line small dishes (like custard cups) with parchment paper. Fill with the warm porridge; using a wooden spoon push the mix down. Let cool, then invert on a plate as a molded dome (see photos).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe
Be a Little Saucy
Chicken dinners with slammin' sauces
It's all about the sauce.
Recipe of the Day
It's time to travel.
Fish for your lunch.