If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: this recipe basically comes from my ongoing exercise to finally love carrots - i was scarred by them & the way my mom cooked them growing up. this soup was a necessity recipe...using up something in the fridge. i've since made this on purpose several times & have friends who just love it. it could be served cold/room temp in warmer months and certainly could be gussied up with ginger or other spices. —runwithtweezers
Serves 4 as a starter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 4-5 tablespoons orange juice (juice of 4 medium oranges)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons creme fraiche or yogurt, split among 4 bowls as garnish
- 2 tablespoons toasted cumin seeds, as garnish (optional)
- - Melt the butter gently in a medium saucepan then add the carrots, onion and garlic. Put the lid on the pot and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened but not browned (about 15 minutes).
- Pour in the stock, water and a pinch of salt (if you're not using low sodium stock, save this step for last). Bring to the boil and simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are very soft. Remove from heat and allow to cool before pureeing.
- - Pour cooled vegetable mixture in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Return puree to pot. Add orange juice and bring back to a simmer. Add honey and salt & pepper (to taste). Garnish with a swirl of creme fraiche, sour cream or yogurt and a sprinkle of toasted cumin seeds, if you choose. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe
This May Be the Best Thing You Can Do with Zucchini
A genius make-ahead summer side
A genius zucchini dish.
Is your cilantro contaminated?
It's time to travel.
Do this for better cold brew.