If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is an adaptation of a South Indian Style carrot dessert called Carrot Payasam. - vegetarianirvana —vegetarianirvana
Food52 Review: Sophisticated, subtle, and so satisfying. This chilled carrot almond dessert soup from Vegetarianirvana is that rare treasure, an absolutely delicious healthy dessert! The buttery almond raisin pesto imparts an appealing crunch to the silky smooth, cardamom- kissed carrot puree. Another time I may experiment with maple syrup or honey in place of the sugar, but this recipe is already 100% perfect, and is definitely an Editor’s Pick. (I had good luck using a food processor instead of the recommended blender.) —AppleAnnie
Serves about 3
- 2 cups carrots [9oz/250 gms] cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk and some extra
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered cardamom
- 10 almonds
- 1 tablespoon salted butter[adds a nice countepoint to the sweet soup]
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons 1/2 and 1/2 or light cream
- toasted slivered almonds [optional]
- Soak the almonds in warm water for a couple of hours before starting the soup. Before using, remove the skin.
- Put diced carrots in a cup of milk and pressure cook it. If you don't have access to a pressure cooker, cook it in milk till the carrots are soft and disintegrate when pressed between two fingers.
- If your milk has evaporated in the process of cooking, top up the remaining milk to make 1 and 1/2 cups of milk in total. You loose very little liquid if you pressure cook the carrots.
- Grind 8 almonds in some of the milk in a blender. Then add the steamed carrots, the rest of the milk and puree till almost baby food consistancy.
- Pour the carrot, almond milk puree in a saucepan. Add the sugar and cardamom powder and let it come to a boil. Then let it simmer for about 10 minutes. You will get a little over two cups of creamy carrot soup.
- Of couse you can add some more sugar, milk or cardamom depending on your taste.
- Once the soup cools down, refrigerate. for at least two hours.
- Meanwhile make the pesto. Brown the butter and turn the stove off. Add the raisins to the butter and stir it for a few till it get rehydrated. Put the brown butter, raisins, the remaining two almonds and the 1/2 and 1/2 or light cream and blend till you get a gritty textured pesto.
- Serve the chilled soup with a dollop of the pesto and slivered almonds if using.
The Best Vegan Cookbook Tips
Better "bacon," tofu's texture, and more
The best vegan cookbook tips.
What to watch (and cook to) on Netflix.
It's time to travel.
Why you should be drinking tequila.
Put cake on a pedestal.