If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This cake needs to "age" a day before serving for best results. The honeyed syrup needs time to soak in to the cake. - inpatskitchen - inpatskitchen
Food52 Review: This is a no fuss, one-bowl carrot cake that skips the hassle of cream cheese frosting but still delivers a bright carrot flavor. The secret here is the almond meal which creates a firm crumb while still keeping everything moist. You'll need to be patient since the honey glaze does need a full day to soak into the cake to sweeten it up. Note: Check the cake for doneness around 25-30 minutes. - broccolirose
Makes 8 servings
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar( for the syrup)
- 3 inch piece of orange rind
- 1/2 cup honey
- Beat the eggs, oil and sugar until light and thick.
- Stir in the carrots, salt, baking soda, orange zest and brandy.Combine well.
- Add the flour, a little at at time, combining well.
- Stir in the ground almonds.
- Pour the mixture in a 10" round baking pan lined with parchment. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes at 350F.
- Meanwhile make the syrup by combining the water, sugar and orange rind in a small saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the honey and let the mixture cool.
- When cake is done, let cool for about 10 minutes and then poke holes in the cake with a wooden skewer. Spread the syrup over the cake and cool completely.
- Remove the cake from the pan, cover, and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving.
- Serve with sweetened whipped cream.