Author Notes: This cake needs to "age" a day before serving for best results. The honeyed syrup needs time to soak in to the cake. - inpatskitchen - inpatskitchen
Food52 Review: This is a no fuss, one-bowl carrot cake that skips the hassle of cream cheese frosting but still delivers a bright carrot flavor. The secret here is the almond meal which creates a firm crumb while still keeping everything moist. You'll need to be patient since the honey glaze does need a full day to soak into the cake to sweeten it up. Note: Check the cake for doneness around 25-30 minutes. - broccolirose
Makes 8 servings
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar( for the syrup)
- 3 inch piece of orange rind
- 1/2 cup honey
- Beat the eggs, oil and sugar until light and thick.
- Stir in the carrots, salt, baking soda, orange zest and brandy.Combine well.
- Add the flour, a little at at time, combining well.
- Stir in the ground almonds.
- Pour the mixture in a 10" round baking pan lined with parchment. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes at 350F.
- Meanwhile make the syrup by combining the water, sugar and orange rind in a small saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the honey and let the mixture cool.
- When cake is done, let cool for about 10 minutes and then poke holes in the cake with a wooden skewer. Spread the syrup over the cake and cool completely.
- Remove the cake from the pan, cover, and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving.
- Serve with sweetened whipped cream.