Author Notes: There is a first for everything. I have never made quiche before and this was my first. There were many quiches to come but for brunches or a even a light dinner I always go back to my beloved first quiche.
Smoked salmon, leeks and goat cheese come together in a beautiful harmony that gives a slight reminder of lox, eggs and onions (which was a favorite brunch item of mine at NYC's Blue Water Grill where they would put a mound of cream cheese in the middle, yum.) The ingredients sit in a light egg custard in a most decadent cream cheese crust.
Seconds anyone? - bethmichelle
Cream Cheese Crust
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup butter (room temperature)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment, combine all ingredients for pie crust and mix on medium-low speed until it forms a dough.
- Form dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove dough from fridge and roll out into a 9 inch quiche pan.
- Prick bottom dough all over with a fork
- Bake pie crust for 10 minutes.
- 8 ounces smoked salmon, cut into pieces
- 1 medium leek, chopped
- 6 ounces goat chees, crumbled
- 3 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Scatter the salmon, leeks and goat cheese over the bottom of the partially baked crust.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs, yolks, and half and half. Add salt, pepper and combine.
- Pour the egg mixture over the salmon, leek and cheese mixture in the pie shell.
- Bake until the top is golden, and set in the middle, about 40 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)