I live on the beautiful Mississippi gulf coast where I amuse myself by saltwater flyfishing, and my devoted companion & our friends by cooking. We're always thinking about and talking about food in our house. I've been an enthusiastic cook for years and I love trying new recipes or just creating something good without one. My BF says I think in terms of flavors and he finds that unique and amusing. It's a happy home!
With our coastal winters, our backyard garden is going strong. We're growing beets, arugula, collard greens, mustard greens, tat soi, spinach, parsley, carrots, & green onions. The kumquat tree is loaded and the calamondin tree is producing nicely. The herbs are beautiful right now and I'm sharing them with a local restaurant.
I recently read a terrific new book by my friend, food writer Rowan Jacobsen, called American Terroir. Excellent - check it out.
- What is the strangest food you have ever eaten?
- Grilled racoon and racoon-cornbread dressing. It was strange, but good.
- What do you cook when home alone?
- Oh boy, eggs!
- Your most treasured kitchen possession:
- My cast iron skillets.
- The ideal number of guests for a dinner party is: