Author, speaker and avid gardener/cook,I absolutely revel in the seasonal pleasures and broad scope of gardening that life in the Pacific Northwest affords, while at the same time despair about the occasional chilly non-summer that robs me of warm season crops.
Working from home and tending a small city garden provide me with a living workshop and practical skills in a hands-on pursuit of color, texture, form and delicious flavor every day of the year (and where I've learned to love kale).
- What is the strangest food you have ever eaten?
- anything made with packaged food being an added ingredient - think chicken salad with a package of Ramen noodles, including the little spice packet - or strange molded celery/cottage cheese/lime jello concoctions. Not that I'm above a good tuna noodle casserole with potato chip topping.
- What do you cook when home alone?
- radish sandwiches with good butter and bread - or cheese and crackers if I don't have radishes.
- Your most treasured kitchen possession:
- NPR on the radio
- The ideal number of guests for a dinner party is: