I have been cooking and baking since I learned now to read, seriously. Instead of going to the playground on a Saturday, I baked all day. My mother, a nurse, worked long hours so I find it amazing that I didn't burn the house down or that my mother didn't receive a visit from the child welfare agency. I have always been surrounded by good food and cooks- as a child, college student, young adult and now, as one that is over that certain hill. Memories for me usually revolve around food. A certain smell or taste can take me back to usually, a pleasant time in my past. I remember what I ate on vacations, not necessarily the details of where I've been. My iPhone is FULL of food pictures. My bookshelves are bursting with cookbooks. I consider myself a simple cook since I like simple recipes that let the ingredients shine, although I am willing to try and conquer the most difficult recipes. I love the science of cooking along with it's creative outlet. I love food. I love how food unites people. I love to travel. Nothing beats the combination of travel and food- experiencing new cultures and cuisines. Ahh, my life is good. I guess I should add my fondness (often necessity) for outdoor activities like hiking, backpacking, skiing, canoeing, rafting and diligent exercise to round out my profile.
- What is the strangest food you have ever eaten?
- My dad's hot chocolate with raw egg (well, the egg of course curdles (cooks)..yuk-where did he get that idea? You could add bird nest soup and green turtle steak to the list too- all before they were a no-no to eat. I've also had my fair share of bugs and worms. And the memory of sucking on dry yak cheese in Bhutan is not something I will not soon forget.
- What do you cook when home alone?
- Anything that pairs well with Parmigiano Reggiano.
- Your most treasured kitchen possession:
- I have three: my mother's flour sifter, my mother-in-law's rolling pin and a cutting board my grandfather made for me for a wedding present. Each has it's own special story.
- The ideal number of guests for a dinner party is:
- As many as I can squeeze around my table.