If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
It's no doubt that you're firing up the grill -- so here's an upgrade from hot dogs, potato rolls, and portobello burgers. If you remember the Friendly's patty melt, this is a real throwback. If not, introduce yourself to a new favorite. Rounded out with flavorful chard stems (or kale or other hardy green stems) in vinaigrette, you'll find yourself making these all summer long.
Serves 2 plus extra chard
1 pound 85/15 ground beef
6 button mushrooms
1/2 sweet onion
4 slices of oval-shaped, light rye bread
4 ounces thinly sliced Gruyere cheese
Pickles (serious must have)
Stems from 1 large bunch Swiss chard or other greens (save greens for another use)
2 ounces anchovies
We're assuming that you already have Worcestershire sauce, olive oil, mayonnaise, garlic, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, butter, and red chile flakes on hand. If not, add them to the list -- they're pantry essentials!
The recipe for the patty melt calls for a griddle, but we think that the char from grilling adds an extra dimension to this classic sandwich. Feel free to make it either way, but these directions are for grilling.
1. Make the burger patties according to the recipe. Shape them so that when they are fully cooked, they cover almost the whole bottom piece of rye bread as this is a sandwich in which each bite should have all the elements. Refrigerate the patties for about 30 minutes.
2. While the patties are resting in the fridge, make the anchovy vinaigrette, and blanch your chard stems.
3. Saute the mushrooms and onions, butter the bread, and pour youself a cold drink, because it's about to be grill time!
4. Heat your grill, and start the chard stems in an indirect heat area. They will take awhile, slow and low.
5. When the chard is ten minutes from being done, burger up your grill!
6. Grill the bread and melt the cheese, plate your burgers and chard, tossing with the vinaigrette.
7. Happy Memorial Day!