About Our Contests
These are not your usual contests. We have a slightly nutty system—but it works.
You're competing for fame and glory: We’ll be shouting the winner’s name from the rooftops! (And by rooftops, we mean featuring the winning recipe on our site and in one of our email newsletters.) Remember, all contest finalists get prime placement in our recipe search and are always most likely to be featured.
Official Contest Rules
Here's how our contests work:
- Every two months, on the 15th, we'll solicit recipes for different themes (e.g., Your Best Shrimp Recipe, Your Best Chilled Soup, Your Best Summer Cocktail). This means, in 2018, contests will launch on 12:00 PM ET on January 15th, March 15th, May 15th, July 15th, September 15th, and November 15th.
- You'll have a little over two weeks, until 6:00 PM ET on the final day of the month (either the 30th or the 31st depending on the month), to submit your recipes. The exact day your recipe needs to be in will be included in the contest announcement. We’re really excited about new recipes, but existing recipes can be submitted too.
- For the next two weeks, we’ll be narrowing down the selections. To help us do so, we’ll be depending on your input—which recipes you favorite and your comments on each recipe. We’ll announce a list of 5 contenders on the 15th of the second month at 12:00 PM ET (so, for 2018: February, April, June, August, October, December).
- The 5 recipe contenders will all be made in our test kitchen and reviewed by our team members. (We hope you’ll test some of them at home in your own kitchen as well, so you’ll be ready to vote.)
- After testing, we’ll whittle it down to 2 finalists. We’ll announce them on the 1st of the third month at 12:00 PM ET (so, for 2018 contests: March 1, May 1, July 1, September 1, November 1, and January 1, 2019). Then we’ll open up voting. You’ll have about a week to check out the finalists, cook the recipes, and document the results. You can cast your vote on the site (good old democracy!). The deadline to cast your vote will be 12:00 PM EST/EDT on the 8th of that month.
- The winner will be selected in accordance with the Judging Criteria and winner selection process, which you can find in our "Prizes" terms. We then announce the winner the following day, at 12:00 PM ET on the 9th. The winner gets to do a happy dance. Then on the 15th the whole cycle begins again with a new contest!
We'll end up with lots of new recipes—created by all of us—that we love!
*Confused? Check out this handy dandy visual guide to 2018’s contests schedule:
|New Contest Starts||January 15||March 15||May 15||July 15||September 15||November 15|
|Submissions Close||January 31||March 31||May 31||July 31||September 30||November 30|
|5 Contenders Announced||February 15||April 15||June 15||August 15||October 15||December 15|
|2 Finalists Announced & Voting Starts||March 1||May 1||July 1||September 1||November 1||January 1|
|Voting Ends||March 8||May 8||July 8||September 8||November 8||January 8|
|Winner Announced||March 9||May 9||July 9||September 9||November 9||January 9|
Recipe Contest Rules
- If a recipe is not chosen as a winner for one contest, you may resubmit the same recipe for a future contest. (For example, Mom's Mud Pie could be submitted for Your Best Dessert Recipe and later for Your Best Kid-Friendly Recipe).
- You may only vote once for each contest on the site, but you may vote for your own recipe.
- This is all in the spirit of good fun. No harassing your fellow competitors, or we'll send you a year's supply of durian.
- If a contest theme involves alcohol (like Your Best Cocktail), you must be at least 21 years of age or older to enter. No alcohol purchase or any purchase is required.
- You may only submit recipes that are your own. If your recipe was inspired by another source, that's okay—just tell us how you changed it. We'd love for the inspiration behind your recipes to be part of the conversation. Plagiarism, however, is a definite don’t. If you plagiarize, people will call you out and you'll look lame.
- Recipes cannot have previously won a contest or other promotion.
- Recipes must be in English. List all ingredients in common U.S. household measurements in order of use. Recipe cannot include ingredients that are considered illegal in any U.S state. Entries must be submitted by individuals, not by teams. The recipe and recipe name must not violate or infringe the rights of any third party, including but not limited to rights of copyright, trademark, publicity or privacy.
- In case you're wondering how we interpret an acceptably inspired recipe, here you go:
Example of original recipe:
Magnolia's Vanilla Cupcakes
From More from Magnolia: Recipes from the World-Famous Bakery and Allysa Torey's Home Kitchen by Allysa Torey
Example of acceptably inspired recipe:
Anise Cupcakes with Chocolate Icing
Inspired by Magnolia's Vanilla Cupcakes in More from Magnolia: Recipes from the World-Famous Bakery and Allysa Torey's Home Kitchen by Allysa Torey
Want to know more? Here’s the really fine print.
Entering a recipe in a Food52 contest grants Food52 the right and irrevocable, worldwide, perpetual license to use, publish, adapt, edit, and/or modify the recipe in any way, in whole or in part, and to use such recipe, and any ideas or concepts contained therein, in commerce and in any and all media now known or hereafter discovered, worldwide, without limitation or compensation or consideration to the entrant and without right of notice, review or approval of any such use of the recipe.
Acceptance of a prize will further constitute and signify the winner’s agreement and consent that Food52, as well as any prize provider and/or sponsor ("Contest Entities"), may use the winner’s name, photograph, images, likeness, voice, signature, biographical information, submission, recipe and/or any other intellectual property materials created or submitted as any part of the Contest, in addition to any and all materials created during public relations activities related to the Contest (collectively "Publicity Materials") for purposes of advertising, publicity and trade related to Food52’s as well as any prize provider and/or sponsor’s, products and/or services, in all media worldwide, without further compensation, and without geographic or time limitation, except where prohibited. All Publicity Materials developed or used will be Food52’s property and will be works "made for hire" and each winner will retain no ownership rights whatsoever. If Publicity Materials are not considered works "made for hire," each winner hereby assigns all them to Food52.
Food52 reserves the right to take such action as it deems necessary to enforce these Official Rules and ensure the fair operation of the Contest, including without limitation, barring and disqualifying entrants who do not comply with these Official Rules. If, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned by any cause which, in the sole opinion of Food52, corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest, or if due to any technical, production or other error, more prizes are claimed or awarded than are described in these Official Rules at any prize level, Food52 reserves the right, at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest and determine winners from entries received prior to action taken, or as otherwise deemed fair and equitable by Food52. No more than the number of prizes stated in these Official Rules will be awarded.
By entering the Contest, you voluntarily and knowingly completely and forever release, waive and discharge Contest Entities, and all related parties, from and against any and every kind of claim, demand, injury, costs, attorney fees, right, liability or cause of action or other liabilities of whatever kind or nature, known or unknown, absolute or contingent, and whether or not fixed, which you ever had, now has or might in the future have arising in any way or related to this Contest, including, but not limited to, participation in the Contest; your Contest Submission; use of your name, likeness, biographical information, signature, image or likeness; financial claims; physical and/or emotional injury; and/or any other legal claim that may arise, whether under contract, tort, warranty or any other theory or claim.
The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Official Rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. If any provision of these Official Rules is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, these Official Rules shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or unenforceable provision was not contained there.
For More Info on the Prizing for our Umami-Centric Recipe Contest
Prizes - Prizing is solely provided by Prize Provider ("Ajinomoto")
A total of five (5) prizes will be awarded in the Contest (by the prize provider, Ajinomoto) as follows:
Prize: 3-day, 2-night prize package to New York City, New York to attend the World Umami Forum.
- Round-trip coach-class air transportation for Winner from a major airport near the Winner’s home;
- Lodging at a property near event, chosen by sponsor;
- 1-day culinary experience at the World Umami Forum for Winner
The approximate retail value ("ARV") of the Prize Package is $2,999.00, per winner. All costs and expenses not specifically described in these Official Rules are the responsibility of the Winner. The actual retail value of the Prize may vary depending on the Winner’s residence, market conditions, changes in value of components (e.g. air transportation and hotel rates) and other reasons. The Sponsor is not responsible for and the Winner will not receive the difference between the actual value of the Prize at the time of award and the stated ARV. The Prize does not include ground transportation, taxes, travel insurance, bag fees, telephone charges, personal expenses, gratuities, service charges, hotel room service, laundry service, merchandise, souvenirs, site-seeing excursions and any other incidental costs or expenses not identified in these Official Rules. All travel and accommodations will be booked through Sponsor and are subject to availability. Travel must be taken within one year of award. The Winner is solely responsible for determining and obtaining, at his/her own expense, required travel documents. Certain travel and security restrictions may apply, and it is the responsibility of the Winner to comply with all travel, security and other laws, regulations, and airline passenger rules that apply to them. The Sponsor is not responsible for airline cancellations, blackout dates, delays, diversions or substitutions and no refund or compensation will be awarded in any such event. The Sponsor is not liable for any missed events, opportunities or expenses incurred as a consequence of flight cancellation/delay. Travel may be subject to weather changes and conditions and changes outside the control of the Sponsor. The Sponsor is not responsible if all or any portion of the Prize is delayed, postponed or cancelled for any reason, in which event that portion of the Prize is forfeited in its entirety and no substitution will be provided, except in the Sponsor’s sole discretion. The Sponsor is not responsible or liable in any manner if the Winner is unable to accept or use all or any portion of the Prize due to failure to qualify or comply with these Official Rules or any law, regulation or other rules that apply to acceptance, receipt or use of the Prize. The Sponsor will not replace any lost, mutilated or stolen tickets, travel vouchers or certificates. The Prize is not transferable.
Each of the Winners will be notified on or around August 15, 2018 via phone or e-mail.
Each of the Winners must each sign, have notarized and return within fifteen (15) days of prize notification, an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability and Publicity Release (and any other documentation required by Sponsor, in its sole discretion) in order to be eligible to accept the prize or the winner will be disqualified, and the prize may be awarded to an alternate winner. Travel prize guests may be required to sign travel releases as well.
No substitution or transfer of the prizes will be allowed, except at the sole discretion of prize provider. Prize provider reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value in the event of unavailability.
In the event a trip winner or their guest engages during the trip in behavior that (as determined by Sponsor in Sponsor's sole discretion) is obnoxious or threatening, illegal or that is intended to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person, Sponsor reserves the right to terminate the trip early, in whole or in part, and send the winner and/or his or her guest home with no further compensation.
All local, state and federal taxes incurred by accepting a prize will be the sole responsibility of the prize winner. Any person winning over $600 in prizes during any one (1) year period will receive an IRS Form 1099 at the end of the calendar year, and a copy of such form will be filed with the IRS. USE OF E-MAIL ADDRESSES By participating in this Contest, an Entrant agrees to opt-in to receive e-mail communications from the Sponsor.
Sponsor and its affiliates reserve the right to use winner recipe & photo (custom shot by Food52).
Judging - Round 1
During Round 1, each Recipe will be judged by a team of Food52 editors and representatives of Food52 based on the following criteria:
- Relevance - relevance to umami theme of the Contest and overall appeal of the Recipe (30%);
- Organization - is the Recipe written well, including all steps, in an organized and reproducible way (30%); and
- Preparation - ease of preparation, is the recipe practical (e.g. does not require special cookware or ingredients) (30%).
- Popularity - how many "favorites" and "comments" the recipe receives from the public (10%)
The top five (5) finalists in each Category (the "Finalist" or "Finalists") will be chosen based on the above, Food52 Judging Criteria. Each Finalist will be notified by telephone or e-mail on or around August 15, 2018 in accordance with the information provided at the time of entry.
Judging - Round 2
During Round 2, the Recipes of the Finalists will be judged by representatives of Food52 according to the following criteria
- Taste & Visual Appeal- is the Recipe balanced in flavor, taste and texture. How does this recipe present on a plate, bowl or in a baking dish? (50%);
- Creativity & Inventiveness- is the Recipe original. How the Recipe reflects the umami theme. (25%)
- Popular Vote – how many "favorites" and "comments" the recipe receives from the public (25%)
Food52 reserves the right, at our discretion, to disqualify or discount any entrant, image or vote connected to votes cast by unfair means.
Should there be any attempt to manipulate voting or winner selection process, Food52 reserves the right to select the winners, disqualify any votes, disqualify any entry, and take any other action it deems appropriate in order to conduct this Contest fairly and equitably. Entrants may not obtain votes in exchange for, or provide or benefit from, any inducement, vote exchange, vote farming, or any other material benefit, that artificially inflates an entrant’s vote total, as determined by Food52 in its sole discretion.