A question about a recipe: Fruitcake-inspired brownies

I have a question about the recipe "Fruitcake-inspired brownies" from JessicaBakes.
I just made these brownies and I'm puzzled because it has taken a lot longer in the oven than 25 minutes. The batter continues to be wet after 40 minutes. Should the tested come out clean as described in some other brownie recipes?

• Posted by: arlenev
  • December 16, 2011
70bb2eec f2ba 4ce2 96cd 394ce3bc6b76  food52 11 01 11 5085
Recipe question for: Fruitcake-Inspired Brownies

JessicaBakes
JessicaBakes December 16, 2011

Perhaps this belongs in the notes of the recipe. I am ANTI-cakey brownies. like, seriously want to eradicate them from the world. I like fudgey, fudgey brownies. Sometimes these puppies can take 30-35 minutes depending on baking dish or oven, but if the top looks smooth and a little cracked, they're done (in my book). I never let my tester come out clean...but it also shouldn't be dripping with batter.

arlenev
arlenev December 16, 2011

Thanks, Jessica. I ended up baking them for 50 minutes. I've had too many experiences of batter being raw in the middle. (My oven temp is correct.) I too don't favor cakey brownies. I tasted the edge and it is cakey, but delicious. At the potluck tonight, I'll see how the middle came out. Next time, I will not bake it so long. Thanks for you response! Arlene

JessicaBakes
JessicaBakes December 16, 2011

P.S. I really hope you like them! So flattered to have other people making this