Presale! 2 new cookbooks from Food52. Claim your signed copies »
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Fruitcake-inspired brownies

70bb2eec f2ba 4ce2 96cd 394ce3bc6b76  food52 11 01 11 5085

I have a question about the recipe "Fruitcake-inspired brownies" from JessicaBakes.
I just made these brownies and I'm puzzled because it has taken a lot longer in the oven than 25 minutes. The batter continues to be wet after 40 minutes. Should the tested come out clean as described in some other brownie recipes?

asked by arlenev about 5 years ago
62da2e3c 5d4a 4c43 a2ed feb7f39ad363  with ab

Perhaps this belongs in the notes of the recipe. I am ANTI-cakey brownies. like, seriously want to eradicate them from the world. I like fudgey, fudgey brownies. Sometimes these puppies can take 30-35 minutes depending on baking dish or oven, but if the top looks smooth and a little cracked, they're done (in my book). I never let my tester come out clean...but it also shouldn't be dripping with batter.

Thanks, Jessica. I ended up baking them for 50 minutes. I've had too many experiences of batter being raw in the middle. (My oven temp is correct.) I too don't favor cakey brownies. I tasted the edge and it is cakey, but delicious. At the potluck tonight, I'll see how the middle came out. Next time, I will not bake it so long. Thanks for you response! Arlene

P.S. I really hope you like them! So flattered to have other people making this

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.