A question about a recipe: White Chocolate Snowflakes

I have a question about the recipe "White Chocolate Snowflakes" from merrill. Does the white chocolate bloom? Do you not bother tempting the chocolate in this recipe? Milk chocolate sounds even better-if less pretty-but I feel like lack of tempting could be an even bigger problem there .

D45fe329 0900 4174 87d9 fe5dd6a4c7e5  2018 1214 white chocolate snowflakes 3x2 rocky luten 026
Recipe question for: White Chocolate Snowflakes

lorigoldsby
lorigoldsby December 18, 2011

Merrill is having you temper the chocolate when you melt it over the double boiler.

You could always make "dirty snowflakes" by drizzling dark chocolate over the white. Either way, use a chocolate designed for candy making (vs baking chips which are designed to retain their shape) for the best results.

Amanda Hesser December 18, 2011

Ours usually don't last long enough to bloom! But I have forgotten a few at the back of the fridge and they didn't bloom even after 2 weeks. And we didn't temper the chocolate. Not sure if white chocolate behaves differently. The reading I've done on blooming doesn't distinguish white from milk and dark chocolates.

The Spiced Life
The Spiced Life December 18, 2011

I just feel like the blooming shows more on milk, not that is necessarily behaves differently.

The Spiced Life
The Spiced Life December 18, 2011

Interestingly different answers. :) I would not have said melting in a double boiler tempered chocolate BUT I also am surprised they did not bloom so I guess I'll just have to give it a try and report back.

lorigoldsby
lorigoldsby December 18, 2011

This is why I considered it tempering chocolate...it may be simplistic of me to assume that melting over a double boiler is tempering, but I guess I do! This is one of the great things about the hotline...you get different points of view!

http://candy.about.com/od/candyglossary/g/def_tempering.htm

The Spiced Life
The Spiced Life December 18, 2011

Let's just say I've had enough tempering quotes to leave me permanently wary lol. :D But I will try. I've finished first round of baking, but with in laws coming for the week after xmas I'l need more stuff. Any excuse!

The Spiced Life
The Spiced Life December 18, 2011

Hmmm.. Auto correct got "quotes" out of disasters. Weird. Can you edit answers on here?

lorigoldsby
lorigoldsby December 18, 2011

When melting over a double boiler, make sure the simmering water is not touching the bottom of your melting pan (I actually use an 8 cup Pyrex handled cup) . To test put your top pan on, then lift up and make sure no water is on the bottom! It's a handy trick that makes melting the chocolate easier!