A question about a recipe: Wicked Brittle

65a61c43 9395 429f 8697 d0d75402a5cf  2017 1010 wickedly delicious brittle julia gartland 028

I have a question about the recipe "Wicked Brittle" from gingerroot. I don't have a candy thermometer. Is there a visual cue or some other way to know if the brittle is ready for the baking soda?

asked by clintonhillbilly almost 7 years ago

Nozlee Samadzadeh

Before candy thermometers were widely available, our mothers and grandmothers used a different system to measure temperature -- and it still works! :)

The idea is that you drop a small amount of the boiling candy into a glass of cold water and gauge how it reacts. Here's a guide:

http://offthemeathook.com/2011/11/top-tip-tuesday-getting-accurate-candy-temperatures-without-a-thermometer/