Presale! 2 new cookbooks from Food52. Claim your signed copies »
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Wicked Brittle

6c5c1958 62d1 4d3d b360 3c0ecd80e5e4  img 5172

I have a question about the recipe "Wicked Brittle" from gingerroot. I don't have a candy thermometer. Is there a visual cue or some other way to know if the brittle is ready for the baking soda?

asked by clintonhillbilly about 5 years ago
94418e45 e9fb 4ce0 a583 5f755b327e6c  photo 00004

yes. actually the way the caramel behaves when it comes in contact with water will tell you when it is done for brittle. for brittle the caramel needs to be around 300F degrees or hard crack. To know when it is ready, drop a little caramel into cold water and it should separate into little hard balls when in contact with cold water. be careful not to burn the caramel because it will acquire a bitter taste so great in flan but not so much in brittle!

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.