A question about a recipe: Wicked Brittle

65a61c43 9395 429f 8697 d0d75402a5cf  2017 1010 wickedly delicious brittle julia gartland 028

I have a question about the recipe "Wicked Brittle" from gingerroot. I don't have a candy thermometer. Is there a visual cue or some other way to know if the brittle is ready for the baking soda?

asked by clintonhillbilly almost 7 years ago

OlgaMarie

yes. actually the way the caramel behaves when it comes in contact with water will tell you when it is done for brittle. for brittle the caramel needs to be around 300F degrees or hard crack. To know when it is ready, drop a little caramel into cold water and it should separate into little hard balls when in contact with cold water. be careful not to burn the caramel because it will acquire a bitter taste so great in flan but not so much in brittle!