🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Scottish Oat Cakes

Ce5e0f35 e62b 40c0 9ffb 9dd90d2d71c7  1.22.12 pine nut oatcakes best 2 sm copy

I have a question about the recipe "Scottish Oat Cakes" from Syronai. Can butter be used in place of the shortening?

asked by ChaosTheory almost 6 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

This is from a previous hotline question -- thought it was helpful so I'm just pasting it here: "Butter contains 14-19% water. Shortening is 100% fat." If you use butter, you may want to use less -- keep in mind, it also may add more moisture to your dough.

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

Butter absolutely works in this recipe! It will make the dough a little wetter, as Amanda notes. I just put less hot water into the dough to start out and inch it up from there. It isn't usually a huge difference in liquid. The butter also changes the flavor and texture slightly--it makes the oatcakes richer and a little closer to shortbread.

It would be great to know how to make these without going gluten free. I was going to whip up a batch, but I don't have those specialty ingredients. I have oats, almond flour and regular rice flour, though.

@nutcakes: Without having my mom's original recipe in front of me, I can tell you to sub oat bran for the rice bran and regular all-purpose flour for the sweet rice and amaranth. Add the water slowly, since you may need more or less than the gluten-free recipe calls for. (I think my mom actually added MORE water to hers than I do, but I'm not sure--it's been 10 years or so.) That should work pretty well for you!