A question about a recipe: Chocolate Dump-It Cake

I have a question about the recipe "Chocolate Dump-It Cake" from amanda.
Having trouble melting the chocolate in my mock double boiler - any suggestions??

• Posted by: wingirl
  • December 23, 2011
33901f8b dab8 4ac5 8d01 7bf897aa6a96  2015 0122 chocolate dump it cake james ransom 008
Recipe question for: Chocolate Dump-It Cake

AntoniaJames December 23, 2011

Be patient and stir it frequently. Also, don't be afraid to have your water boiling hard underneath. Also, try starting with just half of the chocolate, melt it, stirring, then add the rest to the melted chocolate and stir well. Then let it cool, and then add the sour cream. Good luck! ;o)

Merrill Stubbs December 23, 2011

What kind of trouble are you having? Is it that the chocolate won't melt? If so, is the water in the bottom pot simmering? You can always use a microwave instead.

wingirl
wingirl December 23, 2011

Thanks so much - I think the chocolate has seen better days - perhaps expired? Heading to store for a fresh bag of chips - cake is beautiful and trying to be patient as it awaits it's outfit!!

Amanda Hesser December 23, 2011

Do you have a microwave? If so you could instead try this. Put the chips in a microwave-safe bowl, and heat for 15 seconds at a time until melted.

wingirl
wingirl December 23, 2011

Thanks everyone and happy holidays - the fresh chocolate chips made all the difference (went the microwave route) and the Dump It Cake was terrific - three generations happy and stuffed. Thanks Amanda's Mom.