A question about a recipe: Pepper crusted salmon cakes with horseradish sauce

49ae1b95 6b05 43de 9eee c263f57663d7  salmon cake

I have a question about the recipe "Pepper crusted salmon cakes with horseradish sauce" from fiveandspice.

Is it really necessary to poach the salmon in advance of assembling the cakes? On reading, it occurred to me this might render them a little on the dry side. Can the cakes be made with raw salmon relying on sauteing to cook them through?

Thanks!

asked by Foodelf almost 7 years ago

fiveandspice
fiveandspice

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

That's a really interesting question, and I'd have to say, I've honestly never tried. I've never found that the poaching makes the salmon cakes dry, unless you over cook the salmon in cooking. You only sautee them long enough to heat them through and get them to hang together since there's nothing raw in the cakes at that point. If you wanted to use raw salmon, I'd imagine you'd have to very finely chop it, and you may need to use egg as a binder rather than mayonnaise and potentially change the proportions somewhat and refrigerate (or freeze) them longer to make sure they hold together. But, you should give it a try if you want! I'd love to hear how it goes.

Jasmine B

You don't have to poach the salmon first, but you will end up with a much different texture in the final cake. I have done this using a food processor to grind the raw salmon and then binding it with about 1 egg white per 1.5# salmon. It will result in a "burger" kind of texture. Also, you will have to cook the cakes longer to make sure they're cooked in the center instead of just warming/crisping them.