A question about a recipe: Porcini and Rosemary Crusted Beef Tenderloin with Port Wine Sauce

A12460b4 9b59 4a14 86a9 849a71ba882e  img 2770

I have a question about the recipe "Porcini and Rosemary Crusted Beef Tenderloin with Port Wine Sauce" from TasteFood. what can I use instead of wine? A bit of veg broth, chick broth and a bit of beef broth?

asked by whyo4 over 6 years ago

fozziebayer

I think chicken broth or beef broth would work fine.

ATG117

The port wine is an important component as far as flavor profile, so you will be losing that. But of the stocks, I'd suggest a good beef stock or a mushroom broth-- not the powdered type but the liquid you get after rehydrating your wild, dried mushrooms.

Sadassa_Ulna

Port wine adds sweetness and dried fruit flavors so I would add some chopped dried cherries, prunes or raisins (2-3 tablespoons?) and maybe some orange zest (1/4 teaspoon or so?).
Or I'd sub 1/8 cup of the broth with balsamic vinegar for adding some sweetness and tang.
None of these suggestions would be equal to the port wine but I do think they would help a lot.