A question about a recipe: Creamy Homemade Ricotta

I have a question about the recipe "Creamy Homemade Ricotta" from Jennifer Perillo. Do you know what temperature the mixture should be at different steps. I have an instant-read thermometer, and would rather not ruin expensive ingredients getting it wrong. Also, can I substitute kefir for the buttermilk? I want to use the ricotta for the awesome-looking gnocchi recipe on your site, so how long should I drain the whey off? Do I want it more moist or more dry? Also, can the whey be reused for the next time I make ricotta? Thanks so much!!

• Posted by: imadok
  • January 26, 2012
  • 1 Comment
Ceae82cb 9a13 4f32 89db 3f3a2d07395a  food52 01 10 12 6879
Recipe question for: Creamy Homemade Ricotta

1 Comment

Greenstuff January 26, 2012

Since it's been a long time since you asked your question, I'll weigh in on one of your issues:

I've only made this once, but I can assure you that the visual cues are sufficient--there's no need to rely on a thermometer. You won't be ruining anything. I hope others will help you further.