A question about a recipe: Warm Mushroom Salad with Crispy Polenta

8c13f191 f9d1 4281 b8dd ddf884b47e00  img 5632

I have a question about the recipe "Warm Mushroom Salad with Crispy Polenta" from Foxes....making this for a lactose-intolerant friend, how can i replace all the milk, butter, etc? (she can have goat cheese!)

asked by Sophie Hays almost 7 years ago

EndlessAppetite

I would bring the stock only to a boil and infuse that, then pour in a cup of unsweetened almond or rice milk and bring that to a bare simmer with the stock. I've used it in polenta before and it turned out just fine. For the butter, you could use Earth Balance.

Butter has very little lactose--and none if you clarify it--so you're ok to use it. I would make the polenta with stock only because I don't care for almond or rice milk, but that's just me.

Foxes

Both suggestions given sound good. I might ask your friend if she tends to use almond milk or rice milk and if she likes them - if so then put that in the polenta; if not it would be great with just stock.

Since you can't use the cheese of the creme fraiche, I would drizzle a bit of good quality olive oil over the top to add some tastiness.

Ophelia

You should ask your friend if she can have hard aged cheeses, or sheep cheese, often lactose intolerant people can have parmesan cheese because the lactose in it is almost non-existent, but Pecorino-romano is a very similar in flavor and is made with sheep milk rather than cow (if goat is okay, sheep generally is too).
I would use broth instead of milk, sub olive oil or coconut oil for the butter, and maybe a nice dollop of fresh goat cheese on top.