A question about a recipe: Tuxedo Chili

D87fdc2e ed02 4df5 b7e2 e09f1152336d  food52 02 07 12 7964

I have a question about the recipe "Tuxedo Chili" from TheRunawaySpoon.
I am living in Spain and was wondering....when you say chili powder are you referring to the dark burgundy-colored spice combo which is sold in the US (i.e. Spice Islands or McCormick Chili Powder) and typically used in Southwest cooking...OR the typical bright red Indian chili powder commonly found here which is simply heat without any smokey flavour. Thanks!

asked by puiggirl over 6 years ago

Mr_Vittles

The former, please.

Ophelia

All the other spices are ones typically found in a chili spice blend so I would assume that they mean cayenne. 1.5 tsp wouldn't add a whole lot of heat even if I'm wrong.
And the chili in the photo isn't as red as mine get when I add the spice blend.

TheRunawaySpoon

Yes, American style chili powder. I use a mild version from Penzeys, but it is totally personal taste. You can use a spicer version.

LE BEC FIN

runaway spoon has answered your question but i would add that CUMIN, cumino, preferably toasted and ground finely, is the primary flavor /spice component of chili powder.

puiggirl

Thank you! My first visit to this page and so many helpful answers from you all. I will be be following this from now on and looking forward to trying lots of new recipes.