🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Chocolate Persimmon Muffins

7249eec5 72fc 46a1 9b44 bcc123d81759  image tjh5997

I have a question about the recipe "Chocolate Persimmon Muffins" from thirschfeld.
what can I use in place of AP flour, I am gluten free!

asked by Fay over 5 years ago

All Purpose

E29013c2 3e90 48ab b297 41e445e1e562  sunshine small
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

Radiobomb is correct -- the "AP" stands for "all purpose" -- that's 90% of the flour sold in most typical supermarkets. This is opposed to "cake flour" or bread flour" which have differing amounts of gluten and therefore behave slightly differently when used differently.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

You might use any of the gluten-free all-purpose flours such as those from Williams-Sonoma (Cup4Cup), King Arthur or Glutino. Or, you can make your own all-purpose mix using brown rice flour, millet flour, sorghum flour and Xanthan gum.

Fay

To WSSMom:
Thanks for the info.
If I want to make my own by using brown rice flour

Fay

To WSSMom:
Thanks for the info.

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

You will not be happy if you substitute any rice flour one-for-one for wheat flour in a recipe designed for wheat flour. You will need one of the substitutes (can be pricey) or will need to make your own. There are several different "recipes" for wheat flour substitutes (most will feature rice flour as one of the ingredients), all with varying success. Personally, I like Connie Sarros' recipe: 2-1/2 cups rice flour; 1 cup potato starch flour (NOT potato flour), 1 cup tapioca flour, 1/4 cup cornstarch, 1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour, 2 Tablespoons xanthan gum. Mix all well. Keep unused portion in the fridge or freezer.

Fay

Thanks, SeaJambon, I will try your sugestion, it sounds good.
Fay