A question about a recipe: Burnt Caramel Pudding

I have a question about the recipe "Burnt Caramel Pudding" from Midge. Can this recipe be scaled down for 2? I'm trying it right now and the sugar doesn't seem to be dissolving & turning amber the way the directions say it will. Can you not halve this recipe?

8337d192 8d07 425e 9007 765826036600  2016 1215 burnt caramel pudding james ransom 211
Recipe question for: Burnt Caramel Pudding

hardlikearmour February 11, 2012

I don't see why you can't halve the recipe. Sugar needs to hit about 320º F to start to caramelize, so I suspect you just need more time and/or more heat.

Appetite4Books
Appetite4Books February 11, 2012

Making a very small amount of caramel, or burning sugar, is tricky. Size of pot comes into play, among other things
To save some trouble, just do the full recipe of caramel, and halve the remaining.
Worse thing is you'll end up with a little extra caramel...is that really so bad?
The custard part is easily halved.

Peter
Peter February 11, 2012

It can be halved but be careful, half as much sugar and water means it will heat up and burn much faster. If you burn it., I suggest not halving it and keeping part of the caramel for other uses.

withinseason
withinseason February 11, 2012

Thanks. Not halving the caramel and just halving the cream is what I just tried now. Though in the rush of trying-not-to-burn it, I forgot to pour off half the caramel before adding the cream. Oops! Oh well. It'll just (hopefully) be extra tasty.