A question about a recipe: Roasted Tomatillo Salsa

Ddaefa99 fcc3 47ec b238 2b7cb30cd918  pict0124

I have a question about the recipe "Roasted Tomatillo Salsa" from CottageGourmet. Do you add the tomatillos to the skillet whole? Some of the tomatillos I have are somewhat large, so I was wondering if they should be sliced first. I've never cooked with tomatillos before so I 'm not quite sure how to use them. Thanks in advance!

asked by KKT over 6 years ago

Miranda Rake
Miranda Rake

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

I haven't actually made the recipe, but reading through it, I would say that you should leave them whole for the oil roasting, even if they're somewhat large. Good luck!

sfmiller

Definitely leave them whole. You're going for charred skin; if you cut them they'll release liquid as they cook, which cools down the pan and inhibits charring.

KKT
KKT

Thank you for your answers! It worked out well :)

CottageGourmet

I think it's fine to cut them in half if they're large. What you want to achieve with this salsa is a blistering of the skin, so if you do cut them put them in skin-side-down. Enjoy!

withinseason

This recipe is fantastic - I made some last summer and just finished the frozen leftovers. Miss it already!

Anyway. I had the same dilemma and ended up finding that Rick Bayless has a really similar recipe & method. But he halves his tomatillos and puts them cut side down. You can read his version here : http://www.kalamazoogourmet.com/rbme154.php

I did some of each version and the results were great either way. I ended up favoring the whole method, just pulling the smaller ones off the pan earlier as needed. You can't really mess this recipe up.

CottageGourmet

Glad you liked it! I usually make it with small tomatillos, smaller the better, sometimes as little as grapes and tinged with a purplish color. I don't know the difference in cultivars but whatever I've used, the salsa has turned out well.
I've never actually frozen it, though, so that was good information, thank you!