A question about a recipe: Cinnamon Sugar Breakfast Puffs

I have a question about the recipe "Cinnamon Sugar Breakfast Puffs" from fiveandspice. Can I make the batter the night before and then bake it the next day?

6b925041 933a 4a0c 8c59 07e780aee118  2016 1116 cinnamon sugar breakfast puffs james ransom 109
Recipe question for: Cinnamon Sugar Breakfast Puffs

ATG117
ATG117 February 26, 2012

T I would brown the butter and mix the dry and wet ingredients separately the night before, so that all the measuring and prep is basically done. Then I'd throw everything together before you are ready to bake. That said, someone else might suggest mixing everything the night before is fine.

fiveandspice
fiveandspice February 26, 2012

I would agree with ATG117. Because the leavening (baking powder) will activate as soon as it comes into contact with the wet ingredients, if you leave the batter fully mixed overnight, it won't rise up as it bakes in the oven the next day.

susan g February 26, 2012

Comparable to my pancake batters -- 2nd day just doesn't have the loft, but I leave it on the counter for a little bit of souring, which you wouldn't want in this recipe!